Wednesday, August 24, 2005

user ID

Today a guy calls and says he's having trouble registering on our website, it won't accept his user ID. I tell him I'll register for him.

What user ID would you like to use, sir?
Brian. (oh, no, I can see where this call is going already)
Just Brian? That may be already in use. Do you have a second choice?
Already in use? By who?
Another website user named Brian probably.
OK, BrianR.
I tried both of those and they're already taken. Do you have another one?
Wow, I can't believe it. Try RBrian. (You can't believe it? I can't believe you're such an idiot as to think that on a website with over a million users, you'd be the only Brian)
That's in use also.
OK, use my whole name, briansmith. (no joke, the guy's name was that common)
That one has also been taken already.

And so it goes, he reels off a list of choices...brianrsmith, 2brian, brian2, even brian123 when I told him he should try to use something more unconventional to decrease the chance that someone might already be using it.

What a waste of my talk-time! We finally ended up settling on something that didn't include his name at all. He'll probably forget it and call back tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Rev. Dubya said...

Sounds like what I deal with on a daily basis.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Rev. Dubya and I am a Pentecostal minister from Kentucky. I also work as a Tier 2 Support Engineer for a world-wide IT outsourcing company.

You're getting added to my Blogroll. Keep up the excellent writings.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home